Narrative Process

   I found this assignment much more difficult than the previous one. I was also a bit disheartened about finding a story worth telling around me. I spent the entirety of Saturday driving around the Tri-Cities searching for the perfect story to tell, and I came short. My quest ultimately took me to the Walla Walla fair, as I had really enjoyed the photos that I had taken at our fair. This time, I went with a new pair of eyes. Not only did I bring a different lens, I brought a new mission statement: capture a nostalgic moment of childhood wonder. The image below is the result of that mission, and although it is definitely not the best photo I took this weekend from a technical standpoint, it has the most evident story.

   What I have realized is that there is a story in the most seemingly mundane. I spent an entire day searching for a spectacular situation to come my way, but these stories exist everywhere in everything. As a photographer, I was not actively seeking out these stories (although I thought I was). Instead, I was hoping that a story would make its way to me. In the future, I will have to remember that a great narrative image is the result of actively seeking out these hidden stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Photograph as Contemporary Art: Chapter 8 Response

Final Project Progress

Abstract Response