Abstract Response

   Platon is a beautiful photographer that one can learn from in terms of how to collaborate and connect with the subject of a photograph. Platon's portraits are instantly recognizable in part due to the technical aspects of his process (film, lighting, position of the camera, etc), but they are iconic mainly due to his attitude towards the camera as a vehicle for a story and a feeling. The subjects of Platon's portraits, whether they be revered politicians or disenfranchised individuals, are not a means to an end; they are a learning experience and an opportunity for genuine human connection.

   The lessons one can take away from Platon and this documentary as a whole are ones that can be applied directly to my documentary. What really stuck out to me was the idea of having to earn the moment where someone is open to the camera. One must be able to spend time on the connection with the subject in order to get something out of it that results in a moment worth sharing. I definitely experienced this with my own documentary and my subject Gerry. On my first visit with Gerry, he did not seem very enthused about my project or talking about his work. After this visit, I was pretty disheartened because I genuinely wanted to make a connection with my subject whom I had great interest in. However, my second visit with my subject was much more worthwhile because he began to allow me to pick his brain a bit and share a few personable moments. What I received was congruent with what I gave to the project, and my experience along with the final product was that much better for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Photograph as Contemporary Art: Chapter 8 Response

Final Project Progress